Wednesday, August 31, 2016

How many quilts this year?

13+ years ago, I made my first quilt for a friend's son.  I don't even have a picture of it. But I remember making it. ....And my mom finishing it.  And I have never hand quilted since.

Since then, I cannot count the number of quilts I have made for my friends' kids.  Looking back, I have a few favorites.  The Brown Bear quilt for my oldest niece and the nautical quilt for my nephew. I made a commitment to myself years ago to make a quilt or afghan for all of my good friends' kids as they were born.  I have never regretted that commitment.

Nautical Eights
This spring, I reached a new stage in my life.  I made my first graduation quilt for my fake nephew.  As he is an Eagles fan and we have developed the tradition of watching the Redskins/Eagles game together whenever possible, his quilt was Eagles themed.  As odd as it is to make a graduation quilt (how am I that old?), it is also fun to see him off on the next stage of his life and see what God has in store.
Eagles Irish Chain
This next year,  I have two baby quilts and another graduation quilt to do.  I am excited about these 3 quilts.  I wonder if I will have anymore unexpected quilts on the horizon?

3 comments:

  1. What a truly precious way to honor the milestones in the lives of those you love! "Special. Heirlooms. These. Will. Be."=said in my Yoda voice.

    ReplyDelete