Sunday, December 18, 2016

She Came Home!

Northern California
Over twelve years ago, I moved half a world away (literally).  I remember driving away from our house and my friend, Sarah, waving goodbye.  I already missed her.  Two years later, I was home and, for nine short months, we lived within 20 minutes of each other.  And then! For eight and half years, she and her family lived all over the country.  Eight and a half years of seeing her once or twice a year and seeing kids and loving them but only getting limited time with them.  Thankfully, this season has passed and they are home and live 5 minutes away.

Virginia
I am so glad they are home.  I treasure the yearly trips I made to see them all over the country whether hot Oklahoma, pretty Northern California, the shores of Maine, or the picturesque Shenandoah.  Sure I enjoyed the new locations and hiking and seeing new things.  But I loved the long weekends or weeks just spent together.  Coffee chats in the mornings, crafts and book reading (of course) with the kids, baking, her husband grilling dinner, movies or games, late night talks.  Now that they are home, I love seeing them all the time. But I do miss the long weekends/weeks.  Wednesday before Thanksgiving, we did one of these days- coffee, Spurgeon reading, sewing, craft, lunch, games.  A simple day but a day to be treasured.

Oklahoma - look at Eve!!!
As I think about our relationship, I sometimes think Sarah just gives and I receive.  I seem to pour out all my concerns and issues on her.  But she is wise and thinks about things differently than me.  A friend like this is to be treasured.   I am thankful for her- her love of Christ, her love for her family, her joy of life, her humor, her shared interest in coffee and sewing among other things, her exemplified holiness.

Maine - pictures of Sarah and I are far and few between

Happy Birthday Sarah!  I am glad you came home.


Maryland!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I do miss our visits in beautiful, picturesque, far-away places, but when it's all said and done, I'm glad to be home. I look forward to more frequent times together (would this be an example of quantity, not quality? Or perhaps quantity AND quality!!) over coffee and yummy food, with kids, games, talks...journeying together onward and upward.

    Thank you for this tribute. It brought tears to my eyes. It and you mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete