Thursday, December 1, 2016

Where does your heart lie?

The trap of wanting more is ever present.  Where does your heart lie?  Is it restless for more?  Or something different? Or something out of your grasp?

I was thinking about this one night last week. One of my fake nieces made a dumb (yes, dumb) comment about how her 22 year old cousin just needed to get married already.  And then I read a Facebook comment about how a girl must be trained for marriage and being a wife because that is their calling and a job is happenstance. (Segue- I can't tell you how frustrated those comments make me on so many levels. If not only for the reason that marriage is not inevitable, that Paul teaches that singleness is a gift from God, and what is truly important is your relationship with God.)  And comments like these make me feel a failure.  The expectation of marriage or hope thereof can cause a discontent, a trap of wanting what isn't.  And I briefly fell into it.

But it is how I handle the expectation or discontent that matters.  Do I look at the gifts given to me- which I have many- and the hope I have in Christ?  Do I realize that only true joy and satisfaction is found in Christ?

I am so glad that in this season of life that even if discontentment threatens that it is only briefly.  In the end, I know I am where I am supposed to be- at the foot of Cross worshiping Jesus and investing in the lives given to me to do life with.   Sunday, M&S were sitting with my sister and I. And I kept hugging them.  I was struck with the fact that these two girls were given to me to be a fake aunt to and to show Christ to in my own way.  I love those girls and what amazing gifts they are to me. 

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.  James 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment