Sunday, May 28, 2017

Celebrating My Aunt Claire

At Holly's wedding
Today is my Aunt Claire's birthday; it is a day to celebrate her and her unique gifts and attributes.

A year ago, I had the opportunity to attend my aunt's retirement dinner marking her years of service in the United Methodist church.   The two hundred plus people from all stages of her life who came to honor and celebrate her speaks to Aunt Claire's ability to do relationships well.

And how Aunt Claire does relationships is a model to me.  All my life, she has been active in her nieces and nephews and, now, grand nieces and nephews' lives.  She knows them all, not just by name, but for who they are. And they know and love her.

Beyond family though, I would hear about how she was going to this person's concert or that person's play or this one's celebration.   I saw and heard about the time she spent in youth group activities and the dance ministry.  She is an example for how I model my own relationships.  Just as she invests in the children (many now grown) around her, I want to do the same with the children (some almost grown) around me.

So today, on Aunt Claire's birthday, I am appreciative of her love, not only for me, but for her family and those placed in her life.   One day, I hope that people will be able to say of me that I did relationships as well as Aunt Claire.

No comments:

Post a Comment