Sunday, May 14, 2017

Practical friendship

Today is Mother's Day.  I love my mother and all that she has done, is doing, and will be doing for me.  But I don't love Mother's Day.   I woke up this morning purposing to be content in who I am in Christ and realizing that my life is good and right as it is.

It's not always easy though.  I can look at social media and long for what others have.  I can go the coffee shop that gives free coffee to mothers and get frustrated. (I got coffee- I have a pet rock I am a mother to. It counts, right?)  I can get irritated when all the mothers are asked to stand in church to be honored. (I need grace on this one.  Nothing makes me feel more aware of being childless than traditions like this.)

I have a choice to make.  How do I react?  What is my heart attitude? This year was an easier year than other years for a multitude of reasons.

Partly this is because, today, four friends encouraged me in their own special ways.  Monique let my sister and I monopolize her son and have first dibs at holding him as always. She recognizes us as his aunts.   Lori and Jerry said nothing but, knowing it may be difficult, included me in lunch today as they include me in their lives on a day to day basis.  And Linda wrote a card encouraging and loving and perfect for me and where I am at.

Today, I am thankful for my mother. But I am also thankful for godly friends; friends who love in practical and real ways.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully expressed. There is joy in the journey together.
    I am touched by your post and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The older I get the more Mother's Day bothers me. I am so glad we didn't have to stand up yesterday (I hate standing and being recognized for anything at church - ha). I guess it is because the older I get the more friends I have that either are still single, but are wonderful around my children and would make amazing mothers or I have friends that are married and can't have children or have trouble having children or have lost children... I feel awkward celebrating or being celebrated when I see other people that deserve to be celebrated for the way they have nurtured my children or other children around me, but aren't biological mothers and so they are celebrated. Anyhow. I guess I just wanted to say, I don't like the day either and I appreciate you and all my other friends that invest time in my children and the other children around you. You make them feel so special and loved. So thank you.

    ReplyDelete