Monday, August 28, 2017

My older brother


"I am proud to be your fake older brother." This approval meant and means everything to me not just because of the words but because of who said them.

10 years ago, my friend, Lori, welcomed me into her life. Slowly but surely her family has become part of my life in so many ways.  Her kids are like nieces and nephews; she is a confident and friend and willing to make time for me whenever I need.  While I may not have realized how deep these relationships would become, that they are like family is not a surprise.  What was unexpected was how I gained an older brother as well.

Jerry has seen me, good and bad, and cared for and encouraged me along the way.  When I couldn't sleep and was going crazy from insomnia, he was the one to give me advice and would let me just come over and hang out with them.   He purposely includes me in family events and day to day activities.   He mocks me, prays for me, laughs at me, and encourages me.  He isn't afraid to give me advice. And when he does, his advice is the counsel of a wise friend worth heeding (even if I don't always want to hear said counsel).

I may not have an older brother by blood, but I have an older brother in every way that truly counts.

Happy birthday, Jerry.

No comments:

Post a Comment