Friday, June 9, 2017

Conversation Hour

This summer, we are trying something new for our ESL ministry.   We have invited all of the students to come and speak English with fluent English speakers for an hour.  The hope is that we can give them the opportunity to just practice speaking English in a low key setting and to build relationships.

It is the same night and time as classes during the school year for a sense of regularity.  The first 2 weeks we didn't have anyone come.  In wondering why, we realized that the church appeared unopened and the cars were out of sight so the church looked deserted.  Live and learn; the third week, we made it obvious we were there and 6 people came!  And this week, 6 people came.  I think both weeks have gone well with lots of good conversation.

This sometimes surprises me.  While I am social with people I know, it is often painfully awkward for me to converse with those I don't know well.  But God is merciful and overcomes that.  I have been able to talk about any number of things and we laugh a lot along the way.

One of the reasons that I love ESL is seeing the joy as people "get it" and speak with more and more confidence. Also I love the people I work with.  Thursday, one of the girls in my group was a young teen.  She came to classes too, and I loved having her in class then too.  She is just fun and full of life.  After class as we were leaving, she proudly announced she can now pray in English and did so.

A month into summer conversation hours, I am so glad we are doing these sessions.  I pray for relationships to grow and English to be improved.  God is good all the time; all the time, God is good. May His goodness flood this ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment