Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Overcoming Anxiety

Anxiety tends to defines me.  I wish it didn't, but more often than not it does.  I can be anxious about everything - big or small, what may be, what was, and what may not be. Anxiety for others. Anxiety for me.  Anxiety that I will forget a commitment.  Anxiety that I will never love that unlovable person more.  Anxiety about my niece at camp this week.  Anxiety about whether my friend will do good on a job interview.  Anxiety is all around ready to control me.

I have a choice.  Do I let anxiety define me or do I overcome anxiety?  Do I let the habit of anxiety set future precedence?  And as I contemplate these questions, I am reminded of an answer I know yet constantly forget.  "Do not be anxious about anything.  But in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God and the peace that passes all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." * This is the habit I need to continue to make.  Instead of dwelling on anxiety, I need to present my worry to God and trust that He will give me peace.  And you know what, He inevitably does!

Today, I choose to give my anxiety to God and dwell in His peace.  "He is able to do immeasurably more than all I can ask or imagine"^ even with my anxiety.

*Phil 4:6-7
^ Eph 3:20

No comments:

Post a Comment