Friday, November 25, 2016

Gratitude for a Father, My Father

Today is my father (and Peter's) birthday.   I am so grateful for my dad. Let me take a minute and tell you why.

(Sidebar: when asked how old he thought my 65 year old dad was, Peter said "79!" 😂)

There is the trivial stuff.  He loves his grandkids and they love him.  He loves puzzles and plays games with me even when he doesn't love them.  He listens to me prattle on while he is doing repairs on my house (see below) and I am watching him work.

He willingly helps with my house repairs.  I like to think of this as a win-win.  He helps me; I give him something to do in his retirement..... But I know that really just a win for me. This year alone, he has helped me with my kitchen floors fixing rot and laying new floors, replacing 2 doors, and fixing my dishwasher.  He also will meet with repair people since I work in another town.

He is always willing to listen to my issues and concerns and will give advice. His advice is good, trustworthy, and always worth listening to.   There is little in my life that I don't consult him about from major purchases to theological questions to life issues.

He is a godly man who sought to raise his children in the way of the Lord.  If you know my dad, you know he loves Jesus and wants to live a life pleasing Him.   I love that we, his children, have seen his role model and follow in his footsteps.

So as I reflect on Thanksgiving and what we are thankful for, I am thankful for my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment