Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Releasing Offenses

We all have had people who have offended us by word or by action.   Because I am so blunt and abrupt, I know I must give offense more than I realize.

Awhile back, someone had offended me.  Feeling rejected and hurt, I moved on and let it go deciding to just not reach out to that person again.  Reject me once, shame on you . Reject me twice, shame on me.  (To misquote a common saying.)  But that isn't biblical or gracious, is it?

I was talking to my brother in law and sister recently and this incident came up.  My brother in law, who does relationships better than anyone I know, encouraged me to renew the friendship and not cling to the hurt.  I took his advice and regained a friendship.

It is so easy for me to hold tight to bitterness or rejection and to not forgive insults real or perceived. And yet God tells me over and over to forgive.  Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you. Col 3:13 and Get rid of all bitterness, rage, and anger, ......  Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ, God forgave you. Eph 4:31-32

Thinking on what my brother in law told me, I had to not only say I forgive the offense but forgive in practice too.  And that is where forgiveness is difficult, reaching out, risking hurt, humbling yourself. In this case, forgiveness in practice worked to yield a quick reward, renewed friendship.  But it could have gone the other way and I could have been hurt again, rejected again.   Yet even if this is the case, the better way, God's way, is to forgive no matter what.

And this is my prayer, to be a forgiving person who releases offenses and loves without question.

No comments:

Post a Comment