Monday, September 12, 2016

All in a night's sleep



O LORD, I remember Your name in the night, And keep Your law. Ps 119:55

I have never been a good sleeper. But this last year has been exponentially worse.

For someone who needs 8-9 hours on a given night, 4 hours doesn't cut it.   I have tried it all, melatonin, herbal teas, essential oils, benydral, sleeping pills, so on so forth.  I have researched the habits- don't look at electronic devices, just get up and walk around for a while, read a boring book.  All of these things work in some degree but nothing works completely.

Image result for melatonin
Everyone says Melatonin works- eh not so sure
Sleeplessness is horrid- I lack energy; exercise becomes hard; I get irritable (and I kind be irritable anyways ask my family).  But in all the bad, I have found some good.

Image result for doterra lavender oil
I love essential oils and lavender is a nice stress releaser
I have a love of essential oils.
I have rediscovered my love for puzzles- sometimes at 2:00 in the morning.
I am working my way through all the LM Montgomery books- as off now I have done all the Anne of Green Gables books and am doing the short stories.
I have gotten good advice from a friend who has walked the same path recently and checks in to see how I am doing.
I have gotten in lots and lots and lots and lots of prayer time.   I pray especially through the kids in my life, a new ministry I am involved in, and for cousins serving in an unreached area.  Not that I always turn in prayer, but I am starting to do this more and more.

I want this time of sleepness to go away especially after a recent series of 8 nights with only 1 good night.  But during this time, I am thankful that God is creating the habit of me turning in prayer during the midnight hours.

At midnight I shall rise to give thanks to You Because of Your righteous ordinances. Ps 119:62

2 comments:

  1. I don't struggle with sleeplessness, but I am up a lot at night with a baby. I have learned to take this time when I would rather be sleeping and use it to pray. Next time I'm up, I'll be thinking of and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminder on how we can turn difficulty into praise.

    ReplyDelete