Tuesday, September 20, 2016

An unplanned swimming lesson



This fall, I signed up for swimming lessons.   I can't run distances anymore and hope that swimming will be a good way to get a quality workout.  Thus lessons to learn proper technique are necessary... However I may have gotten more than I bargained for.  

I am learning technique.   But I am also quickly learned I can't put my face in the water and exhale (or breathe as I say to the amusement of my friends.)  I just can't; I have a mental block and either hold my breath or begin inhaling.  Inhaling under water never goes well- trust me on this.  In the whole 4 or 5 times I have practiced with an instructor or alone, I just can't do it.  The good thing is that I am slowing beginning to exhale under water a little bit.   I think with practice, patience, and hard work, I will be able to breath properly. 
  
But this isn't what I signed up for.  I signed up for some quick technique lessons.  Then I was supposed to be able to swim for exercise with minimal work.  Instead, I will have to work hard at it. In short, build character.

But isn't that what we (I ) face all the time.  The expectation is that a new task, job, project, will be easily learned and enjoyed.  However, knowledge must gained and then painstakingly applied till it becomes second nature.  Muscles (physical and mental) must be developed.   


As hard as all this is, there is a pride and satisfaction in achieving a goal especially when the road was hard and the path harder than anticipated.  And it is picture of our spiritual journey.

We glory in our sufferings, because we know that sufferings produces perseverance, perseverance, character, and character, hope.  Rom 5:3-4

1 comment: