Friday, January 6, 2017

Mentor and Friend

As I left my job at PKS 1 1/2 years ago, I had so many mixed emotions. But as I reflected on what my time there meant, I realized it was defined by people such as, of course, friends. But more so, my time at PKS, who I am as an accountant and how I related to coworkers and clients is defined by substantially two people- Boyd and Nancy.  I think anyone who knows me and my time at PKS knows this.

On December 30th, Nancy passed away and left a hole in so many people's hearts, mine included.  There is so much about Nancy that I could write about- her love of antiques, her commitment to the St Francis choir, her love of her family, or her ability to destroy me in a game of Word With Friends.  But I want to write about what Nancy did for me.

As an intern, I worked in the office across from her and worked on jobs for her." Later in our tenure at PKS,  I was her "mentor." But that was semantics. I represented her at management meetings; that is all. In truth, she always was my mentor.

From Nancy, early in my career, I learned accounting skills. But really what I learned from Nancy was how to relate to coworkers and clients especially clients.  Nancy excelled at helping her clients. I think she was so successful because she truly cared about her clients.  She knew them; she knew about their families; she built relationships with them.  To know Nancy was to like her.  Nobody I know disliked her because she was so gracious and kind even if they weren'y her favorite people - attributes I would do well to learn from her.
Nancy was one of the few people at PKS who knew I almost went back to missions several years ago and was one of my references.  We spent so much of our work life in the summers together that poor Nancy heard all my stories. (There was the summer more than a few years ago when I cried all the way to Seaford and at the client's all morning.  She said she didn't remember that.  I think she repressed the memory.)  Yet despite the constant working together and hearing of stories and dealing with me not always at my best, she still loved me anyways.

I had the chance when I left PKS to tell her how I felt about her and again a few weeks ago.  But I think anyone who cares to read this blog post should also know how wonderful and influential Nancy was on who I am as an accountant and, more importantly, as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment