Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Helping those at your doorstep

I think it is fascinating that after 2 years of looking, God lead me to an ESL ministry at the right time and has show me over and over that this is where he wants me.  And it is exciting to see what God is doing and will be doing.

Last Thursday night, I stopped at the library to pick up books. (Shocking, I know.) Waiting in line, I heard the woman ahead of me ask about ESL classes for her mother-in-law.  I, of course, invited her to our classes and they came!  And they were in my class.  She is my first student to not read or write which is a new challenge. But after discussion with the family member who came with her, she is hoping to just build some basic conversation skills so that takes some pressure off.  I love my class and the people who come each week.  They work hard and, though they have different skill levels, they all cheerfully practice and learn.  They are so much better at language learning than me.   

Looking to the future, I am excited.  Three people from my church are helping in the ministry now as well as my parents and more are talking about helping.  This weekend, I am talking to the mission team about plans to join forces with the other church.  I am so excited to think of churches, from different denominations, joining together to meet a real need in our community and share the Gospel. Who knows that these people were placed in our community for such a time as this and we are place here to work alongside them.

I am overwhelmed at all that is ahead.  (Ok, more often than not, I am overwhelmed to teach on a given night.)  But God delights in using the unexpected and weak for His glory.   He wants us to rely on Him and trust Him to use us.  He wants us to be in prayer and dependence on Him.  And this is where I am at- depending completely and utterly on God to use me and build my faith in Him.

In Partnering Churches Together, there is a quote I love.  "Ministries should have goals that can be accomplished, but still, if it can be done with God, let a local club do it."  Civic organizations are good and do good work.   However our ministry can't be accomplished by civic organizations, only God can bring the churches together, fulfill the visions, and use us to reach people with His Word.  

I don't know what the future holds.  But I know He is in control and will use me for His glory if I let Him.

2 comments:

  1. "And this is where I am depending God". I am so glad we both feel our need for God's power and provision in this ministry. It is a joy to work with you.

    ReplyDelete